Thanks for visiting – we are excited about working with educators, schools and parents to raise geography awareness by sharing a variety of information on the places that we visit and providing updates from the road. The Press is an important partner in getting our message out to as many people as possible.
|Jun 14, 2012||Dangerous Business: Thursday Traveler(s): Trekking the Planet|
|Jul 10, 2012||Career Break Secrets: Who’s Out There Now? Darren and Sandy|
|Sep 12, 2012||Adventeer: Sandy and Darren are Trekking the Planet|
|Oct 4, 2012||Travel Link Sites: Around the World Travel: Darren & Sandy of Trekking The Planet|
As seen on…
Here is a short video overview about the Trekking the Planet expedition.
About the Van Soye’s
After 25-years in the IT industry, Darren and Sandy Van Soye embarked on a 424-day around-the-world journey to raise geo-literacy in K-12 students. Prior to this trip, they had traveled to over 40 countries on six continents, most of it using independently organized itineraries. Learn more about Darren and Sandy here.
Photo by www.TayloredPhotoMemories.com
Some Frequently Asked Questions Answered Prior to the Trekking the Planet Journey
What are You Doing?
We are taking a 424-day around-the-world journey to six continents, visiting approximately 50 countries. The name of our expedition is “Trekking the Planet”.
What is Your Mission?
Our mission is to instill a greater awareness and curiosity about the world – its people, culture and our fragile planet – to as many kids as possible. Studies have shown that American knowledge of geography is among the worst in the world. By following the progress of this expedition, kids can gain greater knowledge of where Kyrgyzstan or Ethiopia is, for example, and learn more about the world’s people, culture and nature.
When did your Journey Begin?
- Our trip began on January 28, 2012. You can follow us LIVE here.
How is Your Journey Unique?
- During the time we are away, we are taking a series of hikes or “treks” to some of the most remote and unspoiled places in the world.
- We are traveling by ground (boat, train, bus) where possible, to experience the world more closely and minimize our carbon footprint.
- We are engaging K-12 students by providing enrichment materials: sixty (60) four-page weekly overviews (that correspond to where we will be) that use the framework of the Geography Standards of 1994 developed by the US National Council for Geographic Education.
- We are sending out weekly supplemental emails with our impressions during our journey as well as images and video from the road. We have a website (http://TrekkingthePlanet.net), Facebook page and Twitter account (@TrekkingPlanet).
- We want the communication to be two-way and plan to answer student questions along the way.
- Our materials are totally free to educators, kids and parents.
You can read a Q&A session with Darren and Sandy here.
Press Release Photos
Support from Educators and the Press
Contact: Chuck Van Soye
Please only contact Chuck if you are a member of the press. Fastest service for all other types of requests can be found here.